This qualification is for individuals who are nominated as appointed persons or who are required to provide support to qualified HSE first aiders.
What does this qualification cover?
First Aid Legislation
* Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
* Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH) Regulations 2002
* Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations
Managing an Incident
* Assessing the incident and situation
* Personal safety
* Contents of HSE approved First Aid Kit
* Priorities of First Aid
When to send for help
* Resuscitation Techniques
* Carrying out a primary assessment of a casualty
* Cardio – Pulmonary resuscitation in accordance with UK Resuscitation
* Council guidelines 2005
* Chain of Survival
Management of an Unconscious Casualty
* Carrying out a secondary assessment of a casualty
* Ensuring an open airway is maintained
* The Recovery Position
Management of Circulatory Disorders
* Recognition and treatment for shock
* Control of bleeding, dealing with minor wounds and foreign objects in a wound
* Recognition and treatment of a heart attack
* Recognition and treatment of a stroke
Management of Other Injuries and Conditions
* Recognition and treatment of a choking casualty
* Recognition and treatment of fractures
* Management of burns and scalds
* Management of miscellaneous conditions: asthma, epilepsy, anaphylactic hock and diabetes
What you gain from the qualification
By the end of the course you will be able to:
* Manage a first aid incident effectively.
* Apply strategies to deal with a range of common workplace injuries.
* Administer basic life saving skills.
* Understand the role and responsibilities of an appointed person in
* small to medium size organisations.
* Support fully trained first aiders in larger organisations.